Mr. Selfish and I are currently loving our little apartment in Paris. But as is our nature, we want to do a few day trips from Paris while we are here. Do you have any suggestions for us? We’re currently looking at the following possibilities:
1. Versailles – In 1682, Louis XIV moved from Paris to the Palace at Versailles. It is opulent and beautiful. The last time I went, it was the middle of winter, so none of the fountains were turned on and the gardens were mostly brown. I want to experience Versailles in the autumn.
2. Giverny is where Monet painted his water lillies. Monet moved to Giverny in 1883 with his family, including his second wife and 8 children, living and painting there until his death in 1926.
3. Disneyland Paris – we’re from Orlando. Need I say more?
4. Asterix Park – Mr. Selfish and I adore Asterix and Obelix, so when my little cousin informed me that there was an Asterix Park, I knew that we had to go. Plus, there are tons of roller coasters!
5. Reims contains three UNESCO World Heritage Sites and is located in Champagne. History and champagne? We’re there!
6. Rouen is a town in northern France. It sits on the Seine River and was formerly the capital of Normandy. It is also the site where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake, as well as the site of the cathedral which inspired so many of Monet’s paintings.
7. Fontainebleau is one of the loveliest castles in France. It is decorated in the French Renaissance style and was the preferred residence of French kings and emperors for 7 centuries.
Any thoughts on these potential day trips? Or do you have different suggestions for day trips?