This is the first of seven posts on the Selfish’s customized Game of Thrones tour. Check out the other posts here:
- The Selfish’s Very Own Game of Thrones Tour
- Day 1 in N. Ireland: The Haunted Forest, Winterfell, and the Twins
- Day 2 in N. Ireland: The Iron Islands, King’s Road, and the Red Woman
- Day 3 in N. Ireland: Dragonstone and Renly’s Camp
- Day 4 in Croatia: Crashing a Braavos Set and the Masters
- Day 5 in Croatia: Walking in Khaleesi’s footsteps in Meereen
- Day 6 in Croatia: From King’s Landing to Qarth to the House of the Undying
As we were still recovering from the triple jet lag we suffered as a result of our trip to Greece and Taiwan, Mr. Selfish asked me where I wanted to go next. After a brief moment of consideration, I said that we should do a Game of Thrones tour. I had recently become obsessed with the television series and had started reading the books. So just like that, it was settled.
The next step was to figure out where Game of Thrones was filmed. Some quick Googling revealed that GoT has been primarily filmed in Northern Ireland, Malta, Croatia, Morocco, and Iceland.
The only place that we had previously visited was Morocco, so I decided to skip that location. It seems like you need to visit Iceland during the winter to get the GoT experience, and we were planning our trip in August, so Iceland was out too. That left N. Ireland, Malta, and Croatia.
Mr. Selfish looked at our points and decided that the best routing for us would be to N. Ireland and Croatia.