This is the final part of our 15 part series on the Best of Our Selfish Years of Traveling. You can check out the other parts below:
- It’s Almost Over: The Selfish’s Top 20 Experiences
- Now THIS is Living: The Selfish’s Top 10 Stays
- Stop Drooling: The Selfish’s Top 20 Eats
- The Selfish’s Top 10 Biggest Letdowns
- The DO’s of Traveling
- The DON’Ts of Traveling
- 10 Tips for Haggling Abroad
- 15 Things to Pack for a Year Long Trip
- 33 Things We Learned While Traveling Abroad for a Year (Part 1)
- 33 Things We Learned While Traveling Abroad for a Year (Part 2)
- 33 Things We Learned While Traveling Abroad for a Year (Part 3)
- The Selfish Guide to Photography – Part 1
- The Selfish Guide to Photography – Part 2
- A Selfish Year in Pictures
Our great Selfish Years adventure started when I discovered the world of miles & points, back in September 2011. Mrs. Selfish and I applied for 2 Citi AA cards, for a grand total of 150,000 AA miles a piece: enough for two business class tickets around the world!
We’ve done some pretty awesome things, flown some amazing flights, and stayed at some world class hotels. So how much did it all stack up?
Let’s look at the numbers, shall we?
Mrs. Selfish and I spent a grand total of 372 days of straight traveling, leaving the States in August 2012, and returning in August 2013. During the course of the trip we saw 102 cities and flew 61 flights across 25 countries.
We spent the most days in France, followed by Japan, Australia, and England. Expensive countries, indeed – though surprisingly, Australia was the MOST expensive country – coming in at roughly 50% more in costs than any other country.
Some random factoids:
- Miles traveled: 70,150
- Number of pictures taken: 50,326
- Average number of pictures taken daily: 136
- Best award redemption (value for cost): Park Hyatt Sydney
- Best business class flight: Qantas, Sydney to Los Angeles
- Number of beds we slept in: 97
- Average number of days in same bed: 3.81
- Best bed: Heavenly Bed, any Westin Hotel
- Amount of time spent packing & unpacking bags: 3.36 days
- Number of massages: 46
- Number of native languages we encountered: 16
- Number of languages we learned “hello” and “thank you” in: 8
- Most expensive economy ticket: Siem Reap to Bangkok at $1.31 per mile
- Most free attractions: Paris
- Days we spent no money: 1